Barton faces 18-month suspension after betting breach

26 April 2017

The English Football Association (FA) has issued Joey Barton with an 18-month suspension after he admitted to a misconduct charge related to betting.

Barton, who currently plays for English Premier League club Burnley, will be suspended from football and all football activity for the duration of the ban.

In a statement, the FA said Barton placed 1,260 bets between March 26, 2006, and May 13, 2016, relating to the “progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in, football matches or competitions”, breaching FA Rule E8.

Barton has also been handed a fine of £30,000 (€35,300/$38,500) and warned over his future conduct.

The 34-year-old said in a statement that he plans to appeal against the length of the ban.

“I am very disappointed at the harshness of the sanction,” Barton said.

“The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement from playing football.

“To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.

“Having consulted with my friends and lawyers, I have decided I will be appealing against the length of the ban.”

In October last year, Barton was charged by the Scottish Football Association (SFA) after admitting placing 44 wagers on games, while playing for Scottish Premiership club Rangers.

SFA regulations prohibit players, coaches and referees from betting on football anywhere in the world, and Barton was handed a one-match suspension.

Related article: Barton handed one-match ban for betting offences