Casino Takings Dented By London Bombings 

8 September 2005

Stanley Leisure PLC, Britain's biggest casino operator, warned takings at its high-end London gambling parlours had declined in recent weeks following July's terrorist attacks on the capital.

While its portfolio of 37 regional sites has performed in line with expectations, Stanley said returns at its three “high-roller” casinos in Mayfair and one at South Kensington had been under pressure.

In the London estate’s busiest trading period, Stanley said visitor levels and sales had suffered in line with other capital-based leisure and retail firms which have been affected by factors including the London bombings on July 7. Stanley Leisure shares fell as much 3.4 pct before paring losses.

In a statement, chairman Lord Steinberg, said it was too early to tell whether the downturn would prove to be a temporary blip.

Chairman Lord Steinberg also said Stanley had progressed a five-year investment and development plan aimed at benefiting from new gaming rules.

As previously announced it is making five new licence applications and considering the extension or relocation of a further nine casinos.